Thursday, February 9, 2012

Not my thing

Twice this week I have ventured into waters that are just not my thing. It reminds me of my marriage to my first husband; I should have just walked away and left him at the alter, but I didn't.

Wednesday I sat through a meeting at the Senior Center because the way it was advertised it sounded as if it was a community meeting to discuss problems concerning citizens over 60. It did not take long before I realized it was actually a meeting presented by the Senior Citizen Board to discuss their fiscal priorities for Federal, State, county and city funding for the things they offer; such as meals, meals on wheels and transportation for seniors to the center and doctor appointments. Although I do occasionally eat lunch at the center, if it closed it wouldn't make much difference in my life. I knew as soon as the meeting started that I would rather be almost anywhere else. I should have just stood up and left, but I didn't.

Today I was invited by the facilitator to attend a meeting of a State sponsored group who are interested in improving the health and well being of our young people. I decided to go and see what they were doing. I knew most of the people attending, all of whom represented a group or organization or were working in a health related field. I am interested in the welfare of the children of our community, but I felt very out of place. Although I made a couple of comments, I really had very little to offer. Again perhaps I should have left, but I didn't.

Maybe my attitude stems from so many years of being a volunteer for various groups. I have already spent a zillion hours sitting in meetings. I have paid my dues and it is time for a younger generation to get involved. The trouble is few people want to do that anymore. I think I am just tired of trying to make a difference.

There is one more meeting next week that I have agreed to attend. It is a forum presented by Con Alma Health Foundation and is supposed to be focused on the health of older adults and what is needed in our community to help people who fall through the cracks. This affair is by invitation and after viewing the names of some of the invited guests I must admit I was flattered to be included. I will again be going simply representing myself so we'll see what happens this time.

It could be I should just stick to writing because I know that's my thing!

2 comments:

  1. It seems a never-ending question we must ask ourselves in terms of how and where we spend our time... finding that balance between strict service and service through out total joy, I hear ya and support you! It is definitely easier when we allow ourselves to let the form in how we serve change. Much love!

    ReplyDelete