Friday, February 3, 2012

First things first

Everything I need to resume going back to work as a part time independent product demonstrator is sitting in my closet waiting for my first demo assignment. It is a good thing I never toss out anything that could be used again. I have the uniform consisting of a white shirt, black pants, black apron, cap and even a black bow tie. I guess someone knew I would be doing this again because I even have a leftover cardboard table used for demos without electrical appliances, such as a microwave or toaster oven. I’m all set materially, but I have some mental things to take care of first.

One of those things is a change of attitude about this move. I need to cease thinking about it as something I have to do to pay for unexpected house repair bills and start thinking about it as a great opportunity.

For some time I have been trying to find ways to add people to my current life. For months I have felt pretty much alone and that has not entirely been all in my mind. I am sure there was a universal reason that I have been forced to take care of myself by myself. Looking back I believe I have done a very good job, with only a skeleton crew to assist me in my challenges. Observing others my age sometimes causes me to be very grateful that I am now an independent being.

One of the things I miss about working in a public job is communication with other people. I didn’t grow up being a people person, but that has changed quite a bit due to the life experiences I have been given. Somewhere along the line I have lost my fear of expressing myself. One of the things I love most is sharing information, whether it is through my writing or some other means. Guess what? The basic reason for product demonstrators is to do just that. It is fun to offer new products to customers and I always end up learning as much as they do.

Now that my attitude has become a bit more positive than it was yesterday I do believe I am ready to get back in the stream of things. I look forward to once again communicating with real live adult people. I have a feeling this job is going to lead to something I have been seeking for a very long time.

4 comments:

  1. Best of luck Barbara. I know you will do well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great news Barbara. This sounds really positive. I too am looking forward to getting back to work - a year out and I do feel a loss of confidence but I know that I've needed that year, and my house move, to get a new perspective. Your writing is so lovely, fluent and fluid and very engaging. I know you're very good at your job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jan sometimes we have to do what we have to do, but a positive attitude helps do the job better.

      Delete
    2. Thanks Wayne I can always count on you to cheer me on!

      Delete