Thursday, December 22, 2011

No more snow please!

In my little town in western New Mexico we don’t get a whole lot of snow. We almost never see a white Christmas, even though Grants lies at the base of Mt. Taylor. This year the powers that be are trying their best to rectify that situation.

Five days before Christmas Eve we had between 1 to 2 feet of the white stuff deposited everywhere. If that doesn’t make all those young souls wishing for a white Christmas happy I don’t know what will. One good thing about snow coming this week is the kids are already out of school for Christmas break so they won’t have snow days to make up later in the year. That should make the teachers happy too.

For me I am very glad I listened to the weather man and his predictions. I stocked up on things one wouldn’t want to be without when forced to stay home. In my case it was cat food, water and toilet paper. Fortunately there is plenty to eat in my freezer and pantry. It may not be my first choice under ordinary circumstances, but sometimes you just have to do what you have to do.

Driving on ice is something I avoid at all cost. My little Hyundai Accent and icy road conditions combined with a nervous driver loudly proclaim stay home! I do my best to comply.

Monday night just as I was thinking about how I was going to remove the foot of snow covering my driveway I heard a loud motor noise outside. It sounded like someone was driving a four wheeler back and forth under my window. My reaction was that’s pretty stupid it’s dark out there. What kind of a jerk would do such a thing I wondered as I opened my blinds to check it out?

I couldn’t believe my eyes as I caught sight of my son-in-law on a small snow plow and my grandson joyously riding on the back waving to me. They were plowing the snow in my driveway. I’ve heard about immediate answers to requests, but that was something for a book listing miracles. I later told him that was my Christmas present. In addition to this miracle someone else plowed all the streets in the vicinity of my house the next morning. I have lived here since 1980 and nobody has ever done that before. Our streets are always the last to thaw, making it difficult to get into town

The best thing about this unexpected white surprise is that my young grandson was at my house for two days while his parents were at work. He helped me clear a path to my front door and had a ball making footprints all over my white front yard. It’s like he was announcing to the world, “I was here!” Yesterday he was invited to go with a friend to go tubing on Mt. Taylor. He was overjoyed to say the least.

Christmas Eve is two days off and we have another wave of the storm predicted for today. I’m trying not to panic as I have guests invited for dinner tomorrow night. I’m going ahead with my plans as if I didn’t know the storm was expected. Maybe if I don’t think about it the snow will drop somewhere else and leave us alone.

What is that I see out my window? No it’s snow!!

No comments:

Post a Comment