Saturday, December 17, 2011

Just let it go

I am so excited about the way my writing group is developing. After all this time it looks like I have finally learned to just let something happen of its own accord, without setting rules or anticipating how it should happen. In other words just let it go.

Our group added three new members this week, all sharing their unique interest in writing based on their own life experiences. We don't even have a name for our group and that may never happen. We all posses a love of words and what can be done with them. It is so interesting to see how that simple fact is shared by each person.

The only rule I am going to insist on for the group is respect. It is the only rule I had when I started my children's group last year. When someone is speaking or presenting their work listen. If you have feedback on what they have offered make it positive not negative. We are gathered to help and inspire not hurt and destroy.

I can see that this group is a learning tool for me. It is my MO to make lists, be prepared and see the end result before beginning anything. On the giant screen of life I can now see that this writing group just needed my original idea of inviting people with a common interest to join together in the same place at the same time. All I really had to do was provide the tools to allow that to happen. Now all I have to do is let go and let it be.

No comments:

Post a Comment