Thursday, December 1, 2011

Adventures of a writing group

I am happy to report my new writing group is making progress and moving in a positive direction. I have to admit that I was hesitant about forming a group, but I am very happy that I did. Even though the holiday season may not have been the best time to try out my idea we are slowly picking up people who have an interest in writing. I am confident that after the chores, traditions and joys of Christmas and the New Years have passed people will be looking for a new focus.

My place is coordinator and making sure everyone has a chance to shine during the hour that we spend together. Actually I am finding that role rather fun. We decided at our first meeting that none of us desire to sit for an hour writing about a given subject. We have agreed to use the time to encourage, share and critique our work and most of all inspire each other to write about their chosen subject.

We have a varied group which makes it fun and gives each person a chance to learn about something they may not have known before. Some of us are published authors and some are waiting for work to find the right outlet for their finished project. Gerald has written a novel and several children's books, which he also illustrates. Patricia has had a medical research paper published and is in the process of doing further research. Vicky is the most unusual member as she has been receiving detailed information on a book for several years through her dreams. At the moment she is experiencing a writers block. Perhaps her source is tired! Then there is our newest member,Joyce, who in the past has written poetry and short articles. I hope we can encourage her to pick up her pen and write again. Of course, I write about things that happen in my daily life and also try to be inspirational.

I am so far very happy with the direction our little community of like minded individuals is headed. Although we are not going to sit in a room writing we did agree on going home with an idea to write about and share the next time we get together. Today's suggestion was Christmas. I will admit it is sort of a no brainer at this time of year, but it is the first thing that came to my mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment