Tuesday, January 7, 2020

Hitching a ride

Yesterday I hitched a ride to Albuquerque with friends because I had a dermatology checkup. They both had eye exams in the morning. The weather was beautiful for January. I had a long time to wait for their appointments to end and I sat in the waiting room of the large facility and read my kindle story. I occasionally looked up to take in the sights around me. People watching is sometimes a fun game.

What I saw was mostly older people wondering around on various kinds of contraptions. Many used  walkers or canes, some used crutches. One lady had a leg up on what looked like a pink scooter of some kind. The man that really got my attention was a very overweight man in a hospital gown, being rolled down the hallway on a gurney to the optical store.

As I sat in my chair I couldn't help giving thanks that at the age of 82 I can still walk around, unaided, when so many can't. Of course I have pains that can cause problems, but I try to ignore them as much a possible.

I believe that concentrating on the good instead of the bad is the key to living a better life. As I went to my own dermatology appointment I noticed that the things I thought needed attention were just normal skin problems due to my age. Can't do anything about that! 

No comments:

Post a Comment