Sunday, September 29, 2019

Use the right word

I recently had a conversation with a friend and we were sharing experiences we had in our English classes. All of a sudden I remembered something from my high school class. I must have a pretty good memory because that was way back in 1956.

Out of the blue the teacher asked us to tell her the difference between continuous and continual. What is really odd is that I can see myself in that classroom and I know exactly where I was sitting. I have no memory of what I, or anyone else, answered.

Let's see what my answer would be if I was in that class today. Continuous= the flow of a river. Continual= a person who won't stop talking. Okay, that was fun!

To satisfy my curiosity I looked it up. The definition of continuous is: uninterrupted extension in space, time or sequence. The definition of continual is: frequently occurring, always happening.

Comments anyone?





No comments:

Post a Comment