Friday, September 20, 2019

Appearances

I just finished a Kindle book titled, Appearances. Thinking about the characters and their struggles I was surprised at how I could relate to them. The book is pretty much a journal of a sister's two plus years fighting cancer and how it affected other family members. For some reason I was guided to read this book. I think I know why.

I had cancer myself in 1989 so I could follow the path of the sister's journey. Even though I was very lucky that my cancer had not spread I did undergo several weeks of radiation. It pretty much leaves you feeling that nothing is sacred. I remember some time later telling another professional that I was a cancer survivor so nothing he/she did to me would be embarrassing. I still have the three tiny tattoos to prove I am a survivor.

I could relate to the husband of the well sister. He had a problem with his wife constantly putting her biological family first. I was married for 27 years to someone who had tons of relatives. I know how left out the husband felt because I felt the same way during my marriage. I always felt on the outside looking in. Our daughter was the only one that I felt was truly accepted by the many cousins and that is still true today. Even though my ex-husband died in 2016.

The other thing I could relate to was the husband being very critical of the wife, although in my story it would be the other way around. I am afraid I pretty much criticized a lot of what my husband did. Perhaps I even did that to our daughter. I wasn't trying to be mean. It was the way I learned to deal with people from my mother. It has taken me years to get over that and take a different path.

Apparently my guide used this book to wake me up to a few things I had previously swept under the carpet. This book contains a whole lot of information about cancer treatments and life in general. I highly recommend it. It was a good read!




No comments:

Post a Comment