Sunday, January 7, 2018

What box?

After re-reading yesterday's post regarding labels I found a past post, originally titled "out of the box", which seemed to also fit the subject. With some editing I decided to post it again. I hope it makes you laugh or think or something! That reminds me that I was once called an instigator. I took it as a compliment. Someone has to stir the pot once in a while. Perhaps that is my new title- pot stirrer!

If you have an impressive title following your name does it make you any more important than anyone else or does it just put you in a box with like people? Think about it.

Obviously some jobs generate more income than others. A small town doctor is not going to earn as much as a big town doctor who also adds a specialty. Those extra titles mean a lot financially, but in many cases the cost of obtaining it will never be repaid. There are a lot of unemployed college educated people out there who still have humongous school loans to pay off. Some of them no longer have jobs.

Titles are funny. When I had internet problems I asked the person I was communicating with to send a repairman a.s.a.p.. I was told that a technician would be sent. I got the same response when I had a furnace problem. Apparently there are no more repairmen. Trash collectors once picked up my garbage now they are sanitary engineers.

During my life I have had many titles, most of which did not generate much money. Experience is something right? My first title while still in high school was sales clerk followed by file clerk. Then the biggie came along; wife, now referred to as domestic engineer, mother, Cub Scout Den Mother, Mother Advisor for a youth organization, teacher's aide, costumer for a theater group, Avon Independent Representative, Independent Contractor for two marketing companies, Resource Development Coordinator, Recreational Aide,  Foster Grandparent for the school system and columnist.. Just look at all those titles! I am worn out just thinking about them

The variety of titles I have held probably don't mean much to most people and granted it would be too much to put on my grave marker, but they describe who I was and who I am. Job titles don't make me any better or any worse than anyone else.

My current self proclaimed job title is Motivational Writer and it allows me many hours of freedom to spend as much time as I choose doing whatever makes me happy. It also allows me to get out of the box built by others and be the me I came here to be.




No comments:

Post a Comment