Wednesday, January 10, 2018

Follow the leader

Last week I watched the reenactment of the Waco, Texas massacre that occurred in 1993. In a 51 day siege by the government 76 people died, including the cult leader, David Koresh.  This program also reminded me of the Jones-town massacre in 1978 led by cult leader Jim Jones. 918 people died from drinking a poisoned punch in a mass suicide.

I still question how so many people could be talked into blindly following someone to their death.

In my lifetime I have followed people who I knew were a bit wacko, but I woke up before anything life threatening happened and deleted them from my life. Today I am asking myself, why did I do that? I always thought it was because I could see the person inside and refused to believe they were a lost cause. Perhaps it was the fact that I have the curiosity of a writer and was determined to reach the end. Perhaps I just enjoyed the game.

I never had any intention of joining them in their wackiness. I did wonder why so many people did though. Just as I wonder why or how can people be conned into following groups that are well known cults. My personal belief is when you don't have a strong belief system of your own it is very easy to get sucked in.

In my experience as long as the target thinks and says exactly what is expected everything is hunky dory. If the person actually has a workable brain and dares to put it in gear the perpetrator vanishes faster than a speeding bullet.

A short time ago I finally let the last big fish off the hook. I was finally tired of allowing the "leader" to blame me for "his" shortcomings. I do think about the lesson though. The only positive one I can come up with is, I am not responsible for what anyone else chooses to do, think or say. Sounds good to me!

The game is finally over and guess who won?.

No comments:

Post a Comment