Saturday, March 18, 2017

What color is this

My youngest grandson has spent the first 15 years of his life not being to see colors correctly. In other words he is color blind. I remember my daughter having a fight with one of his elementary teachers who decided he was coloring things wrong on purpose.

He recently took a test online and discovered yes he definitely is color blind. He did the research and found a website that offered special glasses that corrected the problem. He was very excited when he told me about it. He said they were saving up the money to buy a pair. The good ones are very expensive.

Well apparently their monetary goal was met because when I picked him up to go to the skate park today he was wearing a pair. They look really nice on him and nobody would know they are anything other than tinted glasses.

He made me so happy when he announced, " I can see all the colors now!"

It reminded me of the stories I've read about children who had never seen or heard the voices of parents until they were fitted with a newly manufactured device to aid them. Isn't technology wonderful?

I know that color blindness isn't a major problem, but for a child who has a natural talent for art it could be very limiting. Now when I ask what color is this he can actually tell me.

No comments:

Post a Comment