Monday, May 19, 2014

When in doubt ask questions

Several years ago I was asked by a female aquaintance, "What do you do?" Before I could come up with an answer a man who thought he had all the answers to life's questions piped up, "She asks questions."

That experience clearly came back to me this morning when I found a FB quote attributed to philospher Bertrand Russell (1892-1970). "The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubt."

I had already been thinking about a number of people that have been deleated from my life in recent years. The one thing they all had in common was that they were very controlling souls who thought they had all the answers. You know the kind; my way or no way. Some of these people were so fanatic about their beliefs that they attempted to live my life for me. Some even went so far as to instruct me in how I should react to life's little lessons. There were one or two or possibly three who had no clue why I had reached my limit with their actions and pushed them away.

In going deeper into this subject I realized that I had attracted these controlling individuals because I was at the time just like them. I once believed my way of thinking was the only way.

This situation smells a little like karma to me, assuming karma smells.

I have found that everything has humor if one looks for it. Today I clearly see that these lost souls are exactly where they were when we parted and I am not. I no longer need to be in charge of anyone but myself. I am unable to speak for them.

There is a big difference between offering information and insisting that others follow. Growth is an individual mission and everyone walks their very own path. I believe we are all eventually going to the same place and information we have gathered when we get there is a matter of asking the right questions and learning from the answers.

No comments:

Post a Comment