Saturday, May 10, 2014

Remember to take a breath before leaping

If you have been following along you know that my part time job will end on the last day of school, 10 days from now. At first I was excited that my responsibilities will soon be over. Although there are many good memories there are also some not so good ones. It has been yet another lesson for me in control and patience.

Back in 2010 when I finished a short stint as a Foster Grandparent for the school district I vowed that I had no further desire to control or be controlled by anyone else. So much for vowing. Last August I was right back in the same situation, making sure kids followed rules that had been set up for them by adults. The only difference is that I was better paid for this job. I also had to deal with other staff members who falsely thought they were in charge of me.

In the past week or so I have found two part time jobs on a web site that I could probably obtain with little effort. One is in marketing at a local grocery store and the other is as an activity assistant at our local nursing home.

Without taking the time to allow myself to breathe and contemplate the time off that I have earned I applied online for the first job. Everything was going well until I got to the send part and it wouldn't send, informing me there were errors in the form. I checked it over, couldn't find anything wrong and tried to send it again. It wouldn't budge. I pretty much assumed I just wasn't supposed to have that job.

A couple of days later the second job for an activity assistant popped up on the same site. I made sure my resume etc. was up to date and filled out their online form. The same thing happened. It wouldn't send and again informed me there were errors. Seriously!

Knowing the HR Director personally, I went to the nursing home intending to fill out a hard copy of the form. Guess what? She is on vacation in Alaska and won't be back until Monday.

Now to get to the point of this post which is, quite possibly I need to take a breath before leaping into another situation.

This experience reminds me of a move I made back in 1972. After obtaining a divorce from husband #1, I immediatly wed husband #2. We were also divorced in 1999. Perhaps if I had allowed myself time to take a breath before leaping my life might have had a different outcome.

Although, if I had not wed husband #2 my 3rd child would not be.

No comments:

Post a Comment