Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Laugh or Cry

This has been one of those days that cause me to either laugh or cry. It started out pretty well and then as the day progressed got interesting!?

I woke up feeling great after a restful night's sleep. I went to Futures and walked and used the exercise room for an hour then kept an appointment with my friendly chiropractor, who had just returned to work after a two week mission trip to Africa. I noted that it had been two months since my last visit and because of the trauma of the last week my body needed attention.

After returning home I decided to give my new blood pressure monitor a try. Remember it was the one the pharmacist said was reliable and worth the money. Well, I didn't like the reading because it seemed much higher than I thought it should have been. I went to the hospital and had a nurse check it. Guess what? The shinny new monitor was wrong. Thank God the nurses at our hospital are so helpful and understanding. I am going to try the same thing tomorrow, only in reverse. Then if there is still a difference I am making a call to OMRON, the makers of this so called "accurate" machine.

Getting back in my car, I noticed a little icon on my dash that told me I had no gas and the gas gage was on the empty mark. Since I had just filled up yesterday afternoon that was not possible. There was a possibility that someone had siphoned the gas, but realizing that I was parked directly in line with the hospital's front door and had only been gone for maybe ten minutes that wasn't very likely.

I drove to a station owned by a long time friend to ask his opinion of this strangeness. He checked the fuses and determined the fuel gage was burnt out. He said I would have to take the car to the dealer. Great, I thought I don't drive to Albuquerque anymore so that is going to be a bit tricky. My question to one of his employees was how am I supposed to know how much gas I have if the gage isn't working? He told me to turn on the trip counter to zero every time I filled up and keep track of the miles. I already knew I get gas about every 12-14 days. It made me feel a little better.

Noticing my engine was absolutely filthy the employee said he would follow me to the car wash a few blocks away and he would clean it for me. When you live in New Mexico all kinds of dirt and sand covers whatever it can find to attach itself to. I had been wanting to have this done for some time. I sat in the car while my engine got clean. Driving home the car acted a little strange and the engine light came on. I was told it was reacting to the forceful water treatment. I held my breath and hoped that was the problem.

Arriving home in one piece, I parked the car and let it sit and dry off. In the meantime I contacted the dealer's service department to find out the cost of getting a new gage installed. I waited all afternoon for someone to call me back, contemplating how I would get my car to Albq. and how I was going to pay the bill. Much later I started the car up to see what little light would get my attention this time. Nothing unusual happened, except the gas gage was where it was supposed to be and everything appeared to be back to normal. I decided to go for a spin to see if the car was still acting strange. All was well. The engine seemed very appreciative of having a much needed bath.

At the end of this strangely interesting day I am sitting at my computer thinking God has a very unique sense of humor. I had a choice of either laughing or crying and I chose to see the humor in everything that happened today.

No comments:

Post a Comment