Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Lost Poem

Flipping through my files this morning produced a poem I wrote long before I had a blog to share my work on. I have also noticed that a lot of lost interviews, photographs, creative works attached to celebrities have re-surfaced lately. So why not my lost poem?

I often find that things I have previously written and put away pop up at the most appropriate time to give my life new meaning. I also seldom throw anything useful away. This may be the re-surfacing of my Scottish grandfather’s genes. Although I never knew him I have a strong feeling that he was also a writer. I know he worked for a printing company way back in the early 1900s. Perhaps he is my muse! Now wouldn’t that be a nice surprise?

Greed

When you ask for more than you really need
You are asking to be taught a lesson in greed
You might be given exactly what you ask
To teach you aren’t ready to handle the task.

If what you want is only for you
And it’s not about helping others too
God could consider your request to vain
And insist it be rephrased.

When power and wealth and material things
Become more important than human beings
Perhaps it is time to step back and rethink
What you really need to succeed.

Thoughts often change with growth and experience. Although today I do believe in expecting abundance I still do not believe it is necessary to be greedy. I look at those who have more than they could possibly use in their lifetime and I wonder if they are truly happy. I know I wouldn't be. Abundance is one thing, but wasting anything is quite another matter.

No comments:

Post a Comment