Friday, October 1, 2010

What's in the Pot?

I truly love to cook. It makes me happy to take a little of this and a little of that and create something delicious. The last couple of days I have been filling up my freezer with inexpensive creations from my kitchen. I know this surge of positive energy sprung partly from the fact that my freezer was almost empty and winter is approaching. I also began to see it was the universe reminding me of my past.

The two people who were my cooking role models were my maternal grandmother and my father, who was among other things a chef. I can't make an apple pie without thinking of my grandmother and all the wonderful lessons she passed on to me from her kitchen.

My father, Sidney Halverson, was born on October 3, 1912 in the small town of Tolt (now called Carnation)Washington. He died in 1967 at the age of 54. He was a quiet unassuming man who was overshadowed by his wife. He was basically self-taught and had a thirst for knowledge. I remember his encouragement when I decided to take French in high school. He wanted me to teach him after I learned. I'm sorry to admit I didn't do well in the subject!

I believe one of the most valuable gifts I got from my father is my love of cooking. I remember him helping me with the very first turkey I roasted as a new wife. He not only helped me get it ready for the oven, but he made sure it was done so I wouldn't be the cause of my guests ending up in the hospital.

So today as I reflect on all the things I have cooked up in my pots this week I also joyfully reflect on the influence my father had on my current life.

Happy Birthday dad! I love you!!

4 comments:

  1. Happy birthday Mr. Halverson. My father was a chef too. Unfortunately, I didn't inherit his love of cooking; but when I have decided to cook, I find it almost meditative.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks James, it's always interesting the things people have in common!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice post Barbara. I love to cook too :-)

    ReplyDelete