Thursday, October 7, 2010

Health Cautious

Receiving the results of my Wellness Fair blood test caused me to take a look at what I am consuming. My cholesterol and triglyceride levels were up from last year. Although both were within normal levels it was disappointing. I had even added Omega 3 Fish Oil capsules to my diet for over a year.

I decided to have a talk with myself. The result was that I need to eat more vegetables, fruits and whole grains and consciously cut out cookies, pastries and candy. I'm sure the latter is the cause of most of my problem. It is time I realized I just can't eat the way I could when I was 20 or 30 or 40. Never having to worry much about my weight caused some very bad habits that I need to change.

Also my freezer is now full of very tasty soups and recipes I have picked up from friends. I seriously doubt that I will ever become a vegetarian, but I have had fun trying out new ideas. Meat is not an essential part of my diet, but it won't hurt to eat even more meatless meals in the future.

Nancy Hatch from "Spirit Lights the Way", offered the following recipe that I am passing on to you. I have been making it weekly just to keep on hand for a healthy snack. It can be used as a dip for vegetables or crackers. I also like to fill celery sticks with it. According to Dr. Oz celery is good for memory. There are of course, some things I would prefer to forget. Like my test results!

Hummus
1-16 oz organic garbanzo beans- drain & rinse
2 cloves minced garlic
2-3 Tb lemon juice
2 Tb olive oil
1/4 tsp salt 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
1/4 small onion chopped or 1/4 cup dry onion flakes
small can mushrooms-chopped
small can black olives-chopped
(I add a little hot salsa for more zip)

Blend in food processor until smooth & chill for several hours.

1 comment:

  1. Glad you're enjoying the hummus. I made some yesterday (along with some tabbouli). It's been great for lunch.

    Tonight, we had lo mein, egg rolls, and thai noodles with peanut sauce. Yummy.

    Good luck getting your cholesterol back where you want it to be.

    ReplyDelete