Sunday, November 8, 2020

A magic carpet ride

My gift of words was inspired by author, Richard Bach, whose ability to take his reading audience with him on magical spiritual journeys amazes and delights me. My first taste of his remarkable talent was, Illusions, loaned to me by a friend, who also had a hand in my spiritual evolvement. I believe it was the spark that caused me to pursue a dream I didn't even know I had.

I think every writer was inspired by an author somewhere in their past. Perhaps it was someone famous, perhaps not. My first book, Wake up!, can be read from any spot, cover to cover, and it will make sense to the reader. That is quite an accomplishment for a first time author, especially since I was simply following my intuition. Back then I knew nothing about writing a book. 

A lesson I learned from Bach's writing is, always write from your heart. Write what you believe in and the world just might believe it too. Over the years I have gotten by with a lot, especially as a columnist for the Cibola Beacon in Grants, NM. A sneaky writer can slip ideas in that others might be reluctant to challenge. Sometimes it makes me laugh. I don't lie, but I have been known to bend the rules just a little because it keeps people on their toes.

So today I owe Richard Bach and his slightly off kilter mind a great big thank you.

I also owe my daughter a thank you too. Several years ago she made the comment, "I don't know anything about you." Her father came from a large family and she knew a lot about him from the stories they told. About ten years after I began writing, my only daughter stopped communicating with me, partly because she didn't like something I wrote. My message to her is, "Don't ask the question if you don't want the answer." 

I am going to continue doing what I am doing because I believe that is exactly what I am supposed to do, while I am a resident on this planet called earth.

No comments:

Post a Comment