Monday, May 13, 2019

Why?

Three weeks before I will offer another writing camp for kids I asked myself why? Why is it so important that I do it now?

The reason is simple. As a mother and grandmother I am very disturbed by the number of young people who are taking their own lives. I know from personal experience that writing things down is very therapeutic, especially when you do not have anyone to talk to. I also know from personal experience that sometimes students become a number instead of a person. I don't think bullying is the reason kids give up. I think it is because they don't feel that anyone sees them! I also know that feeling from personal experience.

One of the first things I plan on doing in the camp is to give each participant a blank book and the instructions on how to began journaling. I think this is very important for students who don't have anyone to share their thoughts with. If that keeps one child from taking their own life, offering another writing camp will be worth my time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment