Tuesday, May 7, 2019

Just ask

The Riverwalk in Grants,NM sits right in the center of our little town, a block off the main street. I have lived here since 1980 and during those years it has offered many community events. One of the assignments I am going to ask the kids to do during the writing camp I am offering next month is, write about your experiences/memories at the Riverwalk.

Of course, the Riverwalk has not always been there. At one time it was an area where houses and a  large apartment complex stood. It was cleared out and the park was constructed, which now includes three ponds, a gazebo and an amphitheater. Oh, and there are also a bunch of ducks and geese who make it their home.

I began to think that it would be nice to give the kids a little bit of local history along with the writing assignment. I wanted to know more about the Riverwalk like; when was it constructed, when was the gazebo and amphitheater added? I guessed the gazebo was added in about 1984 because we had my daughter's birthday party there, right after it was built. I had no idea about the rest. So I began asking around.

First I sent a message to the City Manager of Grants, who is also a friend. I figured the city should have that information. I did not get an answer. Next I stopped by the Visitor Center and was told they only deal in parks and have nothing to do with the city. They suggested I contact the Chamber of Commerce, which I did, and have yet to receive an answer. Several people suggested contacting the library. I did and was told that they have few books about Grants, NM and they only keep newspaper articles for a year. Their suggestion was to check my local newspaper. This made me laugh!

The Cibola Beacon no longer exists and was replaced by the Cibola Citizen, now published once a week. That's what happens when you live in a small town like Grants. Reaching the end of my patience, I sent a message to them last night asking if they had access to past Beacon stories. Of course, I have not heard back as yet.

Someone has to know the answer to my questions. I would think facts about something as important as the Riverwalk would be available to anyone who would ask. I could be wrong.



No comments:

Post a Comment