Monday, May 13, 2019

I do exist

The following is a letter, in part, written in 2005 to the then principal of my former high school. I never got a reply, but I don't think it was necessary. I believe I made my point!

I do exist

I am a former student of Roosevelt High School. I graduated as a non-person because no one took the time to help me see that I actually had value. Not one teacher or counselor cared whether I was in class or not. When I left your institution of learning I felt I had no choice other than to get married and have children. It took forty years before I found the real me.

I am impressed with my accomplishments since high school. I have raised three children who have never been in trouble with the law, been the presiding officer in three Masonic organizations, held the position of an Avon President’s Club member, published two hard cover and three Amazon E-books, written an online blog for ten years, created local and online writing groups and provided writing camps for children. My photographs have also hung in New Mexico galleries and several have won awards.

The teachers I had are probably all dead now. My spirit is very much alive and I intend to use it to wake up the school system that ignored me when I needed it the most. Please remind your teachers and counselors that every student has value. Sometimes they just need to look deeper.

No comments:

Post a Comment