Wednesday, October 3, 2018

Happy birthday dad

My father would have been 106 today, but he left his body behind in 1967. I was 30 years old with two children and a husband whom I should never have married.

I don't often think about my father because my mother pretty much ran the family. He did most of the cooking and probably due to that fact I love to cook and bake. The strongest memories I have of him involve cooking. When I was a child I had major surgery and some say I was not expected to live. The night before I went to the hospital my father announced I could have anything I wanted for dinner. I choose a little fish called smelt that he often fried. It was one of my favorite things to eat. The other memory is when I was a young mother and he helped me roast my first turkey. All the relatives were coming to my house for Thanksgiving.

So today on what would have been his 106th birthday I celebrate his life and the contribution he made to mine.

Happy birthday dad!


No comments:

Post a Comment