Friday, December 22, 2017

Two Christmas celebrations

For the last six years my youngest grandson has come to my house on Christmas Eve to have dinner and open his gifts. He then goes home and opens the rest of his gifts with his mother and stepfather. It has always left me feeling sad.

A little while ago my grandson caused me to change my reaction. He referred to December 25th as "my Christmas with you this year". We are in his words, switching Christmas this year. It made me laugh. The best part is he won't be rushing home to open his other gifts.

This year there has been a change in plans and he will spend Christmas Eve with his family and Christmas night with me and his uncle. Yes I am family too but I am not welcome to celebrate holidays with my daughter and her husband, her choice not mine. It reminds me of children with divorced parents. They get two celebrations, if they are lucky.

Last year he decorated a birthday cake for his uncle, whose big day is also December 25. This year his skills have improved and he is doing the whole cake. 

  

No comments:

Post a Comment