Saturday, November 5, 2016

Ready set noooo!

I've been a bit bored lately and have been giving some thought to how I could fix that. A couple of weeks ago I was even thinking about applying for a part time job. It was a job that I was tempted to apply for once before. Because it was mostly on weekends I didn't want to miss my grandson's soccer games. Weighing the pros and cons of the job since I have moved on I decided the cons won this time too.

With a couple of exceptions most of my adult life has been as a volunteer. I have spent time with many groups of people from elementary age right on up to seniors. Yes it has been fun and I believe my services have aided the varied groups/organizations.

For the last year I have made tiny crocheted caps for the newborn babies at our hospital. I have lost count of the number I have donated. I have decided it is no longer fun and is beginning to sound a lot like unpaid work. I may have delivered my last dozen and I believe it is time to find another avenue for my talents.

 There is hardly anything in the community I have not volunteered for, except a group called Mainstreet. It works with the Chamber of Commerce in cleaning up the town and attracting tourists etc. Through their efforts Grants and Cibola County are finally waking up. I really like the group's projects, especially finally using the  Riverwalk Amphitheater for free summer entertainment. It has sat empty for years just waiting for someone to notice.

Mainstreet is an option, but do I really want to be that tied down? This morning I decided no I don't. A better choice may be to volunteer to help out with whatever individual project I might be interested in. The one that comes to mind is the Quadrathalon in February. I'm sure there are tons of things I could do to help out for that event, without going up on Mt. Taylor. It would also give me an opportunity to get out of the house and meet people from all over the country. Who knows where that could lead!

I believe I found my answer. I don't want to volunteer regularly for anything! I have earned the right to pick and choose what I want to do with my talents and when I want to use them.

No comments:

Post a Comment