Wednesday, June 4, 2014

This old house

My manufactured home was purchased new in 1976 by my former husband's parents because he couldn't find a job in California and without any other options we moved to New Mexico. I remember our furniture etc. being shipped ahead and stored in my in-laws garage until our new house was set up.They graciously made room for our family of 4, which included sons ages 15 and 10, in their home during the wait. This old house has seen a lot of changes during its 38 year history.

In a recent conversation with the son who will be moving in with me in a couple of weeks, he made the comment that he has never lived in Grants, NM. It made me laugh until I realized he was absolutely right! Although he lived in this house for 4 years before graduating from Grants High School and joining the Army in 1979, he never lived in Grants.

How can that be you might ask?

The house, complete with contents was moved from the Laguna Indian Reservation in 1980, when my daughter was 10 months old. You can do that when you live in a manufactured home!

Sometimes life does seem to be going around in a circle. My son is getting his own room back, once shared with his younger brother, for the very same reason it was purchased in the first place. He has not been able to find employment in the state he is moving from. Oddly, because of his background and experiences there are job opportunities here that only a few could fill.

I'm kind of thinking my former in-laws are sitting around with other deceased family members with big smiles on their faces.

Mary and Wally you did good when you purchased this "old" house and I for one am very grateful that you did. Thank you for your generousity!

No comments:

Post a Comment