Monday, January 13, 2014

Did I do that?

I spent an interesting weekend mostly doing nothing, but resting. I had no choice because my body decided to be sick. It is almost unheard of for me to stay in bed when I don't feel well. I remember back in 1990, after cancer surgery,I got up and accomplished what I thought needed to be done. If I didn't do it who would? My family sure wouldn't. I had trained them not to. Yup I did do that.

Apparently this past weekend my body decided not to listen and forced me to shut down. Living alone does present cause for concern, when in the middle of the night one is in pain and wondering if a trip to the emergency room might be in order. My brain recalled the last time that happened in 2011 and it resulted in major surgery. I was actually chewed out by the emergency room doctor because I had driven myself to the hospital. It is only about 10 minutes away. His words were, "I can't give you anything for the pain if you are driving" adding "why did you wait so long?"

Gee Doc do you suppose that's because I live alone and it's the weekend and I have no insurance?"

This time everything turned out alright and I gave my body the rest it deserved. Even though I opted out of my life for a couple of days the world did not come to an end.

I don't care to go into detail, but there is one almost unbelievable occurrence that I want to share. While laying on the couch yesterday I clearly heard a very pleasant female voice say, "Hi how are you?". Don't think I'm making that up because my dog heard it too. My first reaction was to wonder who the voice belonged to, but a friend had a different reaction to the experience. She suggested that instead of spending energy on asking who it was I should be grateful that someone, anyone, cared about me. She was absolutely right and I immediately gave thanks to the voice with no body. Yes, I did that!

No comments:

Post a Comment