Monday, June 14, 2010

For Richer or Poorer

Excerpt from my CD “A Hole in the Middle”

Many stories have been written about the poorest of the poor and the richest of the rich. It is interesting that the poor of the world are often happier than the rich. Perhaps it is because they know that true happiness comes from within not from without.

When a person has little he/she treasures what they have. The rich continually acquire more than they could ever use. I believe it would be better to be poor first and then rich. If it were the other way around it would create an abundance of residents in mental facilities and graveyards. The majority of he rich could not handle the role reversal.

The poor tend to value what they have. They use up the last drop of anything before looking for a replacement. They mix and match and substitute missing ingredients. They are magicians who create things from nothing. They see and appreciate the beauty of the world because it is a free gift from God. Most live simple lives.

The rich tend to be part of a throw away society. If it isn’t the right color, size, style or age they toss it and buy something new. Their closets are filled to the brim with things they have forgotten they have. Their schedules are so full they have no time to appreciate anything. They live complicated lives that lead to heart attacks, strokes and ulcers.

Then there are the poor who try to imitate the rich and end up even poorer. I have never heard of a rich person wanting to imitate a poor person, although it would not be a bad idea. They might learn that money and possessions do not make you who you are. When you leave earth you will take nothing with you except what you have learned during your stay here.

According to statistics, I fit in the poor category; however, I don’t feel that the tag describes me at all. I remember my mother asking me when I was a teen what I would do if I was rich. I believe my answer was, “Probably give it all away.” Today my answer would be take care of myself first, and then use it to help others. Experience has taught me to be grateful for whatever I have.

Abraham suggests to attract abundance think “I am satisfied with what is and eager for what will be.” Sounds good to me!

No comments:

Post a Comment