Saturday, August 1, 2020

A greeter

As customers enter our local Walmart, in addition to the sign saying, please wear a mask to enter the store, they are greeted by a young lady saying, "Thank you for wearing a mask". When I asked the girl if she ever got tired of saying that she answered, "it's my job". It made me angry and I am not sure exactly why. So I decided to explore the reason.

It made me feel like a little child being acknowledged for doing something I had been told to do. It made me angry. I wasn't a child and I was intelligent enough to follow the rules, without earning a Walmart badge!

Years ago I was a Walmart greeter who stood at the door and said, "Welcome to Walmart". The job ended abruptly when I was told I had to work the night shift, even though they previously agreed I did not have to. I lived alone, about a  mile outside the city, and didn't feel comfortable driving home after midnight. I later began working for a marketing company and executed food demos at the same store for several years, eventually becoming a supervisor for that company.

Due to the pandemic, I now rarely go to Walmart, except to pick up a prescription at the pharmacy. I prefer shopping at Smith's and Family Dollar. The checkers are nicer and I know where everything is located. By the way, both stores also have signs stating a mask is needed, but they have no reason to hire someone saying, "Thank you for wearing a mask"!

Thank you to both stores for treating me like the adult that I am! 






No comments:

Post a Comment