Sunday, July 9, 2017

How hard is it to say thank you?

I don't know about you but I was raised to say thank you when someone does something nice for me. I wonder why the younger generation seems to be lacking in their ability to acknowledge an act of kindness.

A few weeks ago I sent one of my twin granddaughters a copy of an Amazon family tree that had taken me several years to complete. Even though she seems to only remember that she is Native American on her mother's side of her family there are two sides. I thought at some point she or her children might be interested in knowing who their paternal relatives were. I am really the only one still alive who could provide those names and where they were born. I had really expected some kind of acknowledgement, but I didn't get one.

Her brother, my oldest grandson, and his new wife are expecting their first child in September. After finding out that child is a girl I decided to crochet a baby blanket for her. Two weeks ago I sent it along with a couple of other gifts I thought were cute to her parents. I know it arrived because I tracked the package. Did I get a thank you note. Nope.

Several years ago I wrote a blog post as a tribute to my deceased daughter-in-law. The other twin chose not to understand the content and as a thank you her acknowledgement was a very nasty email informing me that she wanted nothing more to do with me The whole purpose of my blog post was to tell the world that her three children were the most important thing in her life. So far my granddaughter has kept her word and has not communicated since. Even though she didn't say thank you for my effort she did acknowledge it so I guess that was a step in the right direction, sort of.

Generally speaking it seems to me that today's children expect too much and believe they are entitled to whatever they desire.They don't take the time to think about the motive behind a gesture of kindness.

Oh well I guess things change and perhaps "thank you" have become outdated words. In my opinion it's part of what is wrong with the world today.  

No comments:

Post a Comment