Friday, July 21, 2017

Family matters

Does it really make a difference who your biological family is/was. To me it does. For one thing I dislike people who lie. Honesty has always been a priority. My life began with many lies told by my mother, starting with the fact that I was premature. Not according to my birth certificate!

Since I was a young mother myself I have suspected that the man I grew up calling my father wasn't. I look nothing like his Swedish side of the family. On the other hand my younger brother looked like him. I have never had generic proof of my suspicions. Things have changed in the world and it is now possible to track one's DNA. It is something I have considered for some time, but hesitated to do.

French and Scottish ancestry has never been in question, as they are on my mother's side, but the rest? So this morning I decided to splurge on myself and order a DNA test. It could very well prove my suspicions correct- or not. I will see in a few weeks.

Some people might say "what difference does it make at my age?" I can't really explain that, but it does. I have always felt a little out of step. Perhaps being part of the wrong family could explain that. Maybe the DNA test will uncover relatives I didn't even know I had. I know my mother was married twice, but I can't find any record of her first husband. That's really odd I think.

In some ways it's funny that secrets buried for years can now be uncovered many years after people have left earth. Besides, there is that one entity who always knows the truth, so it doesn't pay to lie about family matters.

No comments:

Post a Comment