Sunday, June 18, 2017

A special gift

Last night I got a special gift from my youngest grandson that he had purchased for me on his trip up the West coast with his mom and stepfather. I was impressed that he had only been home for about 10 minutes when he walked up to my house to present my gift. He said he had looked in several stores before he found exactly what he was looking for.


He couldn't have known how much I would treasure his effort.

Although Seattle is not my hometown it has left many once in a lifetime memories. I lived there from the time I was in 6th grade until I was 28 years old. I graduated from Roosevelt High School, had my first real jobs as a clerk for Rhodes Department Store and as a file clerk for the Teamsters Health and Welfare Union, met and married my first husband and gave birth to my two sons in Seattle.

I remember going over the bridge from one end of town to the other and all that water in Puget Sound. I remember the whale called Shamu, the Seafare celebrations every summer, complete with the hydroplane races. I also remember the 1962 World's Fair, held in downtown Seattle and of course, the space needle. I still have not ever taken the trip up its side, but my grandson said he did. He also ate in the restaurant at the top and watched his food spin around.

There are a lot of memories packed into my years of living and working in Seattle and I am happy that my young grandson has had a chance to make his own. I am also very happy with the special gift he brought me. Thank you Colin for your thoughtfulness!


1 comment:

  1. He sure sounds like a very special young man! How sweet that he brought you such a cool gift from Seattle. Way cool!

    ReplyDelete