Thursday, May 26, 2016

60 years are you serious?

Tomorrow my youngest grandchild graduates from mid school on his way to high school and a world of new experiences. It seems like yesterday that I was holding him in my arms for the first time. He has grown into a fantastic young man that I am very proud of. Can't wait to see what happens when he graduates from high school in 2020.

 His graduation made me think of my graduation in 1956 from Roosevelt High School in Seattle, Washington. The only family who attended were my mother and my maternal grandmother. I have a rather unusual memory of the actual ceremony, which probably only my female readers will appreciate. My class wore white graduation robes. I had just started my period and I was scared to get up from my seat and walk to the stage to receive my diploma. Need I say more ladies?

In the 60 years since that day a lot has happened in my life, even though I ended up being a stay at home mom. My first child was born on Christmas morning 1960, my second February 1966 and my last August 1979. Since then 4 grandchildren and 2 great grandchildren have been added.

In all that time I moved from Seattle, Wash to California and on to New Mexico. I haven't really seen much of the rest of the country. Perhaps I am waiting for a really interesting traveling partner who has not shown up yet. Speaking of partners, I forgot to mention the two men I was married to for a total of 40 years. Both gone and I am trying hard to forget and move on. It's not that I do not want a man in my life. I know some really nice men, but they are already spoken for- darn.

Anyway I have had a lot of interesting experiences in those 60 years since my high school graduation. It has been a long journey, but it isn't over yet!

No comments:

Post a Comment