Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Over the top confidence

August 12th was the last day of summer vacation for my grandson, Colin, and he spent it with me. That made me very happy as I don't get to see him as much as I would like to. He has a multitude of friends who seek his presence. The only word I can think of is one often used to describe John F. Kennedy. That word is charisma. His spirit/soul just can't help shinning.

Anyway, we repeated a recent experience and took a pepperoni pizza to the Riverwalk for lunch. The ducks were in full force and Colin began tossing scraps of pizza crust to them. Suddenly a little bird, probably a sparrow, swooped down amongst the ducks and claimed a rather large piece. We started laughing because he was so brave and determined. His confidence was tested when three of his fellow birds began chasing him. Colin shouted, "go little buddy" as the bird flew to a tall tree on the other side of the pond to eat his lunch.

The experience reminded me of watching my grandson participate in his elementary school races. He knows he will win before the race even starts. Being a little short doesn't bother him in the least. I smiled during a recent race when one of his class mates encouraged him with, "go little man". It was a term I had once used as a columnist to write a story about his birth journey on 9/8/01 in New York State. His due date was 9/11/01- smart kid!

When you have over the top confidence you have it made!






No comments:

Post a Comment