Sunday, April 7, 2013

Speak for yourself

One of the problems with the social network, as in Facebook and blogging, is the chance you take when posting your thoughts, that someone who believes they know your life better than you do will take the opportunity to speak for you.

In the last few days I have been busy cleaning up debris from my yard and haven't found time to post any new thoughts, but that doesn't mean I have had my brain turned off. As the dried leaves and dead branches were gradually removed I began thinking about people who are no longer in my life. No, they didn't die. I eliminated them one by one pretty much all for the same reason. They were trying to change my thoughts to meet theirs. Whose life is this anyway?

Some of these people believed they either had been granted special gifts of sight, far above mine, or had moved on up the evolvement ladder because of their education/training. Of course, because of their specialness they felt that they were more learned than poor little ole me and much more proficient in expressing my thoughts for me.

The only way I could stop them in their tracks, whether they were ready or not, was to remove them from my life. For some reason the song, popular some years ago; Don't Let Me be Misunderstood just popped into my mind. Check it out if you care to:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mfwN0X8YnWo

I ran across an interesting and true thought this morning that I would like to share. It was that we are all spiritual/spirits, whether we know it or not. We always have been and always will be. So I wonder what is all the rush to be the most enlightened about anyway? Why are we all scurrying about trying out this and that to be what we already are? This reminds me of a question a priest once asked me which was, is anyone anymore holy than anyone else? Not sure what the right answer was, but mine was- no. You're either holy or you aren't.
(See Father Bob, even though Catholic didn't stick forever I do remember you and your interesting questions!)

I never mind people expressing their opinions and enjoy a friendly healthy debate as much as anyone else; I do mind people who try to convince me to think as they do and insist on changing my words. Please speak for yourself!

No comments:

Post a Comment