Tuesday, June 4, 2019

I have a question

If you are going to be a writer you have to learn to ask questions and keep asking until you get the answer you need. Tomorrow my Writing Camp participants are going to be writing about the Riverwalk Park in the center of our town. When I came up with the idea I wanted to find out exactly when the park was developed. I began asking that question. I wanted to give the kids a little background information, along with having them write about their personal experiences at the Riverwalk.

I first stopped by the Parks Department and was told they have nothing to do with the city. I then sent a message to the City Manager, asking my question. I received no reply from her.

I then talked to someone at the Grants Municipal Library. I was told they have few books about Grants and newspaper articles are only kept for a month.  Knowing the Cibola Beacon no longer exists, I sent a message to the current newspaper that took its place. Again, no answer.

Feeling frustrated, I called the Chamber of Commerce to ask my question. I was told they didn't have that information, but suggested I check with Mainstreet. When I did I was told they would find the answer and get back to me. It has been several weeks and I have not heard from them.

A couple days ago I had a local repairman at my house installing a new patio door. I asked him if he had lived here all his life. I then asked if he knew when the Riverwalk was built. He didn't, but he said he would ask his brother.

I finally got the answer to my question! The Riverwalk Park was built between 1989 and 1992. The amphitheater was added in 2005. I already knew that the big rocks were added by a man whose name was Wheeler. He would dig a hole, measure it and look for the exact boulder to fill the hole. The man had cancer and made it his life's mission.

As I said, if you want to be a writer you have to learn to ask questions.




No comments:

Post a Comment