Wednesday, June 12, 2019

Grandparents



I don’t know much about my paternal grandfather. He was born in Sweden and immigrated to the United States in 1888. He ended up in Carnation (Tolt) Washington, the home of the contented cows. He became a farmer and died the year I was born. My paternal grandmother was born in Nebraska and had two brothers. Her mother died when she was twelve years old. She also ended up in Washington. Some of her ancestors lived in Nova Scotia. My grandparents had four children. I didn’t spend a lot of time with my grandmother, but she always seemed old to me. I don’t believe I ever saw her wear anything except a black dress with a broach at the neck. It seems odd today that I never asked anyone why. Both of my paternal grandparents are buried in Carnation, WA. 


Then there was my maternal grandfather who was born in Missouri and had several siblings. I know nothing about him except that he and my grandmother were married in 1908 and he died in 1918 of influenza on an Army base in Washington State, leaving behind my mother who was seven years old at the time.

My maternal grandmother was born in Wisconsin. Her parents were both born in Belgium, along with most of her siblings. Her family also immigrated to the U.S. in 1888. After the death of her first husband, making her a Gold Star widow, she married again. Her new husband became the only grandfather I ever knew. They also settled in Washington State, following a brief stay in Ketchikan, Alaska. My younger brother and I spent many summers at their home. I remember my grandfather’s rose garden. He would bring my grandmother a fresh rose every morning they bloomed. I give them both credit for teaching me many of the positive values I follow today.


No comments:

Post a Comment