Saturday, September 22, 2018

A matter of perception

looking for something new to add to my life I joined a couple of Facebook groups. It is always nice to communicate with others who are dealing with similar situations.

The first group I joined was Chronic Pain Fighters & Friends, which is a closed group. That means only members can see the posts. I thought it was an interesting group and I learned things I didn't know about ways to deal with chronic pain. I decided it was time I admitted that I actually have it.

An MRI I had last November showed that I have a lot wrong with my back, which causes nerve problems in different parts of my body. Through this group I not only learned that I am not alone, but there are people far worse off than I am. In my case I try to accept what my body is doing without focusing on it. I also do everything I can to make the symptoms I have behave. Some days it works some days not so much. I refuse to let pain take over my life. I also am learning to accept the fact that there are things I simply can't do anymore. It's time to move on and enjoy the things I can do.

The second group I joined was one called Chronic Pain the Funny Side. This is also a closed group, but with a different approach to pain. A friend suggested it and I am glad she did. After checking out some of the posts I decided to google "chronic pain funny quotes". One caught my eye and I decided to post it as my first contribution on the site.

The quote was, "In the old days the best painkiller was ice; it wasn't addictive and was particularly effective if you poured some whiskey over it".~ George Burns. I couldn't have picked a better quote! In the first 24 hours it had 90 positive responses. It seems I did the right thing in joining this group and checking out a different perception. 

I will probably stay a member of both groups, at least for awhile, because it adds interest to my current life. It is always good to tune into other minds to find out what they are offering. 


No comments:

Post a Comment