Wednesday, June 20, 2012

A lesson learned

I am always happy when I have the opportunity to teach my young grandson a life lesson. Isn't that what grandparents are for? I know that's what mine did for me.

Sunday I got a phone call with, "Grandma can you get me minutes for my Trac phone? I only have 3 minutes left and my mom said to ask you."

After briefly being annoyed because my daughter and her husband are financially in a much better position than I am right now, I told him I had a card that I was going to use for my phone, but I would give it to him. I purchased his phone several months ago so we could communicate and to teach him responsibility.

When he came to my house to pick up the phone card I asked, "What are you going to do to repay me"

I received silence and a slightly puzzled look from him so I suggested that he could help me with my weeds sometime during the next week. He agreed and came last night with a friend who lives in the neighborhood. A flash of Tom Sawyer popped up in my vision. I knew I wasn't going to get a whole lot of work from these two, but it was the idea that counted.

I reminded the friend that he had volunteered to help with the weeds so I wasn't going to pay him for that, but I agreed to give him a little money if they would also wash my car.

For $3, popsicles and a couple bottles of water I got some weeds taken care of and a clean car. Cheap labor you say- come on they are 10! Even though the friend offered to share his monetary payment with my grandson, Colin told him to keep it.

This morning I was thinking how proud I was of him for understanding the situation and not complaining. I gave him a dollar to buy a snack at our family center where he spends his summer days. I also told him I was very proud of him for how he had acted. He gave me a hug, the best payment of all!

I think everyone benefited from the lesson.







No comments:

Post a Comment