Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Going going but not gone

Lately I have been thinking a lot about death. Not in relation to myself nor in a morbid way, just about the general subject. I remember a quote from one of my recent teachers along my spiritual journey, she said, "nothing ever dies it is transmuted to another form".

That memory led me to a trip to our local cemetery yesterday. I went to see if I would be given any new messages from deceased spirits as to what I am supposed to do to help them. After agreeing several years ago to be their "bridge" between heaven and earth I am still confused. The job came with no instructions. Actually the only title I can come up with is messenger.

That title reminds me of being a member of the Masonic youth organization Job's Daughters during my teen years. The ritualistic work was based on the life of Job. Part of the initiation ceremony included five messengers seated in a semi circle, who one after the other, related the story of Job's life to the candidate. Apparently the words impressed me more than I realized at the time. No matter what happened to Job he never gave up and was eventually rewarded for his unwavering faith in spite of his many trials and tribulations.

While sitting in my car yesterday viewing the cemetery grounds I noticed how quiet it was. I took in the grave markers, benches and the numerous plastic flowers people had left at the graves. Except for the trees and the grass just beginning to turn green I felt nothing alive. It was as if all the souls who had been buried there were whispering in unison, "we are no longer here". It was then I realized that the only thing under those grave markers was the decomposed remains of the human bodies that had once housed their souls. The spirits weren't dead they had just been transmuted to another form. They had moved on.

From my own experience I know that those souls can continue to communicate with those still living a human life. They are not going to speak in human voices, for they are no longer human. They speak in silent voices that only our heart can hear. They are joined by angels and personal guides to help us peacefully complete our own journey. All we have to do is be quiet and listen.

In closing, I want to share a beautiful prayer given to me by another of my current spiritual teachers. Thanks jts I listened even when you didn't think I was listening!

Don't Stand at My Grave and Cry

Do not stand at my grave and weep

I am not there
I do not sleep

I am a thousand winds that blow
I am the diamond glints on snow

I am the sunlight on ripened grain
I am the gentle Autumn rain

When you awaken in the morning's hush
I am the swift uplifting rush of quiet birds

In circled flight
I am the soft stars that shine at night

Do not stand at my grave and cry

I am not there
I did not die

~unknown~

No comments:

Post a Comment