Saturday, February 11, 2023

Quit now

 

In looking through some old papers I found something I had written that may help someone else who wants to stop smoking or some other addiction. It was called, “So You Want to Quit Smoking”. The following is what I wrote in part.

Your nicotine addiction, no matter what its length, can be eliminated when you learn to care for yourself. You must face up to the fact that you created the addiction and you are the only one who can terminate it. I quit smoking in one day after a forty year addiction so I know anyone can quit if they really want to. The article went on to list several suggestions for quitting, based on my own experience. I decided to share them.

1.      Check out smoking cessation programs that may be offered in your community.

2.      If you have access to the internet check out ways to quit smoking.

3.      Mentally prepare yourself to quit, the more prepared the more successful you will be.

4.      List the reasons you smoke and the reasons you want to quit.

5.      Be aware of what triggers your desire to smoke i.e. anger, frustration.

6.      Plan how to fill the time that you used for smoking.

7.      Cut down as much as possible before your quit date.

8.      Try to find a friend to encourage you.

No comments:

Post a Comment