Monday, March 1, 2021

Ancestry.com-yes or no?

I have been a member of Ancestry.com for several years and today I have mixed feelings about it. Yes, it has connected me with cousins I didn't know I had and that has led to a positive experience, for the most part. It even recently connected me with someone who is supposed to be my niece. She enlisted the help of a genealogist who claims my deceased brother is her biological father. Interestingly, relatives on both sides of my family have been shown as verified on her tree, except for my brother!? She still lists him as her biological father. Something is amiss with this information!

About three years ago a woman, by the name of Dana Stocks, showed up as a first cousin- really? My grandmother had a son who was given up for adoption (my grandfather was not the father). Ms. Stocks claims she is the daughter of that baby and has created a family tree to prove it. She has even used my family pictures. I was ready to accept that fact until she and a friend of hers decided to share the information, rather rudely, on Facebook. That ended any desire I had to associate with her or claim her as a relative. I have also come to believe that her father was the result of an incest relationship. Can't prove it, of course, but that is my opinion and I am sticking to it.

About that time, a male cousin showed up, who had also been given up for adoption as a baby. I had never heard of this person, but he asked me to see if I could find out who his biological father was. I did a little investigating and did find that person, now deceased. My cousin was probably the result of an affair that his father had, but at least I found his name. This information was kept between us and I have totally accepted this man as my cousin.

So all kinds of strange things show up on Ancestry.com. Some of them true, some not. My daughter for instance, has many things on her family tree that are incorrect, but she refuses to change them. The facts are only as true as what the members add. 

In my own experience, Ancestry.com is a yes and a no. When my subscription runs out I doubt if I will renew it.


No comments:

Post a Comment