Thursday, July 25, 2019

Inherited traits/talents



As we walk on this planet called earth we leave footprints for others to follow. It is fun to look back and take stock of what gifts our ancestors may have left for us
 
The first thing that came to my mind was my father. I have not often written about him, but I think his interest in cooking was a big influence in my life. It is something I really enjoy. He also had an interest in photography. I remember that he once had a dark room in our house and developed his own pictures. Although I probably did inherit his interest in cooking and photography, I believe the fact that he was basically a self-taught being is the most important thing I inherited from him.  Most of the knowledge I now share with others I did not learn in school.

Interestingly, I believe what I inherited from my mother and paternal grandmother was the ability to live well on a fixed income, without the need of a man. They both spent many years as widows. Both of them were also very creative, a talent I no doubt inherited from both sides of the family. I also had a great uncle on the paternal side of my family who created etchings on ivory. This art form was once called scrimshaw.

One of the most important traits I inherited was from my maternal grandmother. It is generosity and caring about other people. I have wonderful memories of her giving attitude. I have reason to believe that she had an interest in spiritual matters that were not popular in her time. It is quite possible that her knowledge is guiding me in my current journey. 

I find it very odd that I cannot find one single ancestor who was a writer. The closest I can come is my maternal grandfather, who apparently was a printer’s pressman in his younger years. Oh well, perhaps writing is something I am supposed to pass on to those who follow me. Only time will tell.

No comments:

Post a Comment