Monday, February 11, 2019

Stop it!

It has been twenty years since I stopped smoking and I have never been sorry I made that decision. It was a habit that I never even enjoyed. It took the place of a best friend for forty years.

Growing up with little self confidence, I needed something to hold on to when I graduated from high school and I choose a cigarette. What a stupid choice that was! After forty years I finally realized that a three inch tall piece of tobacco, wrapped in paper, did not have a mind of its own and could not possibly move to my mouth without my help. So I decided to kill my best friend.

With the help of a hypnotist the murder took place in one day, actually one hour.  There was no regret, but it did leave a hole in my life. Smoking had taken up way too much of my time and I needed to fill the gap with something positive.

I credit the hypnotist for giving me a slight push in the right direction. I remember him saying, "It's my job". He loaned me his copy of Richard Bach's, Illusions, the story of a reluctant messiah. A love affair with the author's writing style revealed a path that has lasted twenty years.

I believe anyone can stop an addiction.The person just needs to believe that they deserve to live a positive life.

No comments:

Post a Comment