Monday, February 18, 2019

A pack of lies

I just watched the Netflix movie, Abducted in Plain Sight. It is a true crime documentary about a child who was kidnapped twice by a trusted neighbor of the family. In watching the movie I was reminded how easy it is to be swept into the clutches of a practiced manipulator and to believe their lies.

I have never been kidnapped, but I have fallen victim to people like that. They can make you believe anything, any story they make up to hold you in their web of lies. I have in the past wondered just how people can fall for this kind of crap. Then I took a good look in my mirror and I found the answer.

The conclusion I have come to is: if you don't have a strong belief system of your own it is quite easy for this to happen. I believe it is also easy when one is desperate for love and attention. We were not all raised in a home that offered anything but basic needs. Sometimes it takes a lifetime to make up for that fact and learn to love ourselves.

So I am happy that I was led to watch this movie today. It answered some questions about my own life. It made sense of the fact that sometimes it is difficult to let people go even when it is clear they are leading us down the wrong path.  

No comments:

Post a Comment