Tuesday, April 17, 2018

In other words

Today my therapist and I mutually ended my sessions. I am free to continue on the path I was on or choose a new one. Although I did learn some things I am happy it is over. My therapist left me with the suggestion to research empathy. So I did. I know I am compassionate but I was not sure what empathy was.

I began by doing a google search with the question what is the difference between compassion and empathy.The result was: Compassion and empathy are not he same thing, though the concepts are related. Empathy refers to our ability to take the perspective of and feel the emotions of another person. Compassion is when those feelings and thoughts include the desire to help.

Not satisfied with the answer I got I checked out the dictionary. Compassion- sympathetic feelings:pity, mercy. Empathy- experiencing as ones own the feelings of another. All that did was confuse me even more.

My next step was to post the question on Facebook in hopes one of my friends would clear up the mystery for me.

While waiting for someone to post an answer I asked my long time friend Cynthia Brennen, LMSW, who is a Holistic Health Coach, what she thought the difference was. Her answer was: "My view is that empathy is stepping in the other person's shoes and imagining yourself in their experience, whereas, compassion is witnessing another's experience, standing outside, but feeling it with an open heart."

Three more friends did post an answer and I want to share what they said.

"Compassion is a feeling of sympathy, worry or concern for a person's circumstances. Empathy, you understand the feeling or circumstances the person is going through, perhaps from personal experience. There is a deeper connection."~ Priscill A.

"Being an empath we physically feel the emotion that another person is feeling. It is something you are born with. Compassion, I believe, is a feeling you can have without taking it in and absorbing it and making it your own. This is my experience".~Bobbie H. (in part)

The last answer is probably my favorite because it is short and to the point. It reminded me of KISS=keep it simple sister!

"Compassion- feel for, Empathy- feel with." Deedee P.





No comments:

Post a Comment