Friday, February 23, 2018

literally speaking

Two months ago a new blood pressure medication was added to what I was already taking. It replaced a beta blocker that was keeping my pulse way too low. According to the instructions it was to be taken three times a day. That's where the problem began. A friend suggested I take it at 6:00 AM, 2:00 PM and 10:00 PM. The other problem was that I was supposed to take it with food.

Before I began following her suggestion I had been getting up around 6:45 and taking my regular BP medication. No problem.

For two months I set my alarm for 6:00 AM so I would wake up and take the new medication. I even bought a new alarm clock, which I unfortunately can barely hear the beep beep of the alarm on. I also cut a banana in half and put it in a plastic bag so I had something to eat with the pill. I always tried to go back to sleep after the procedure but I usually couldn't. I was cheating myself out of sleep

Yesterday morning I had a doctor's appointment and was complaining about having to follow this new plan. The response I heard was, "You don't have to get up to take a pill. An hour isn't going to make a difference. Just take it when you get up."

Oh!!

This morning that is exactly what I did. I got up at 6:45 AM took all of my medication and ate a whole banana. I also slept better not having to worry about whether I would hear the alarm or not. I didn't even set the alarm!

Checking the prescription container yesterday I noticed it never said take every eight hours. It said take three times a day. A lot of stress that I caused myself for two months could have been avoided if I had not taken things so literally and not listened to my friend.


No comments:

Post a Comment