Friday, September 30, 2016

This one is for you Mom

You may have noticed that I have not been posting for awhile. It's been apple time at my house. We don't always have a crop but when we do I try to freeze bags of them to make apple pies and cakes during the winter. I peel, slice and bag them in the right amounts. I also make applesauce to freeze.

Many years ago my mother gave me a recipe for apple cake that I still use today. She didn't cook much so a passed on recipe was a rare bird. I do remember one time when we didn't have a lot of money she cooked up a pot of soup, using corn and onion. She called it "cornion" and it was surprisingly good.

Here is my mom's apple cake recipe and a photo of the one I just baked.





Ione's Apple Cake

4-5 chopped apples
1 1/2 cups sugar
3 eggs
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. vanilla
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp cinnamon
2 cups flour
3/4 cup chopped nuts (optional)

Bake in 9"x13" floured dish, 40 min., 350 degrees

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment