Monday, August 8, 2016

With a little push in the right direction

Sometimes my guide/angel gets a little anxious when I don't follow through with the plans he/she has in mind for my current growth. Give me some credit! I didn't take a class called angel messages in school. I am playing this by ear.

This morning I dropped off the lap robe for my ex, interrupting his viewing of the summer Olympics. Actually I interrupted his nap while the program was airing on his TV so I didn't stay long.

As I was walking down the hall someone quietly whispered in my ear, "go find the activity director and talk to her". The walk jogged my memory of a communication group I tried to start with the residents a couple of years ago. It didn't last too long, but I realized I hadn't completely given up on the idea. I believe it is healthy for the residents (at least some of them) to get what is in their minds out of their minds. Sometimes they just need a little direction.

After chatting with the nurse at the activity room desk I found the person I was looking for. I told her I was interested in trying again to start a communication group. She was all for the idea and said she would check her schedule to see what she could do to help.

I am thinking maybe last time just wasn't the right time, Maybe the group didn't include the right mix of residents or perhaps I didn't approach my job as its director with the right attitude. Sometimes I myself get a little too pushy. Seriously! I hope I have learned from my past experience to give the residents more space and time to think.

Feeling really good about what I had just initiated I strolled into the Administrator's office. He was happy to see me and I shared my willingness to try again. His reaction was, great go for it, and he added that there is now a new group of residents to work with.

Making things even better, on my way out of the building I  met a nurse who had worked at the facility in 2000 when I was the Resource Development Coordinator. She had quit 12 years ago and only recently started back. She said things were now different with new managers etc. Suddenly everything seemed to be really good timing.

I felt I was right where I was supposed to be with the help of a little push in the right direction.


No comments:

Post a Comment