Friday, June 12, 2015

Miracles-take one

This post is for those of you who have been following along with my struggle to obtain medical coverage. As my now retired dermatologist said about a year ago, "eventually your warranty will run out."

He was right! A few days ago I was anticipating a hip replacement at some point in the near future with no medical coverage for the last fifteen years, since my divorce. I did have part time jobs, but they didn't offer insurance. I had not applied for Medicare B because I didn't think I needed it. I had no idea that I would be accessed a 10% per year penalty for that choice. In my case that amounted to $125.83 per month in addition to the $104.97 monthly premium everyone pays. This tidy sum reduces my Social Security benefit to a whopping $983 per month.

Following my intuition,those little pebbles of guidance that the universe drops down, I will have full medical coverage as of July 1, 2015. It took me six months and a lot of pain, both physical and mental, but here is what happened.

The very first thing January 1st, 2015 I applied for Medicare B. The application was accepted and will take affect on July 1. Why that takes six months makes no sense. As it reduces my income to a ridicules amount I began to worry about how I could possibly pay the co payments for doctor visits etc. and the huge deductible for any hospital stay in addition to what Medicare would be taking out of my monthly benefit. It wasn't going to happen. I needed a supplement, so I started checking around to see what I could see.

Over the last week I have talked with several insurance agents, all very nice helpful people; none of whom work for Medicare. To make a long story short I went with Mutual of Omaha supplement G for a premium of $119.87 per month. It is total coverage and picks up every single thing that Medicare B does not pay, with the exception of its $147 yearly deductible. It is a really good deal and offers the most peace of mind.

My total for everything will be $350.60 per month, which to me is worth not ever having a medical bill. I also have an additional $300 per month income that I have been putting away for a rainy day. Now it will be headed for my checking account every month. Strange isn't it that that small amount of money almost pays for my new insurance expense. I'd call that a miracle, wouldn't you?

No comments:

Post a Comment