Thursday, June 18, 2015

Choosing the best

I did some searching for an orthopedic surgeon last week. Never needing a doctor with this specialty I had to ask around. I talked to someone I know who had a hip replacement about ten years ago. She had a very good experience with her doctor, who unfortunately is now retired. I did get some first hand knowledge about the procedure and recovery and asked if she could get me a recommendation.

In the meantime I poked around online to check things out. Someone suggested that I get a list of the best surgeons in Albuquerque. It was a place to start. I had five names and three of them all belonged to New Mexico Orthopedics. A friend also suggested that I consider University of NM, which is a teaching hospital. For the first time in my life I decided to go with the best. The health insurance I have now allows me to go anywhere I choose and it won't cost me anything so why not?

I decided to make an initial appointment for later in July with Dr.Joshua Carothers.I even know what he looks like as the web site provides bios on their doctors. I need to see where I stand. So far all I have are x-rays read by a technician I have never heard of. At this point I am simply assuming that I need surgery. What if I don't? Perhaps there is a better option.

I have had two major surgeries in the past and this is the first time I have been able to choose my own surgeon. I have a good feeling about this arrangement, whatever happens. I also have a good feeling that this doctor works out of Presbyterian Hospital, where my last child was born in 1979 and I survived cancer surgery in 1989.

No comments:

Post a Comment